It is now the end of August and I am almost ready to hit the road full time in my little camper van.
It has been an exciting month, with tendering my resignation from my job, after taking my last “vacation” down at Assateague Island, Maryland, where the wild ponies live. That was amazing, by the way, camping in the dunes and waking up to see hoof prints right outside my tent door…
It was sad yesterday to say farewell to my terrific coworkers and a job I truly enjoyed, but it is time for me to head out. The van still needs the insulation and walls screwed back in, ceiling (tin) attached, and cabinets installed. While I am overseas visiting my daughter in South Korea in September, my son promises the work will be completed…thanks, Sean!!!
As you can see from the photo below, the interior is coming along. That wood floor is amazing – so happy with it! I have my layout all set, and am very content living full time in this small space. Now that I am no longer working, I can drop off work clothes/shoes to a Goodwill and make even more space for the few winter-ish clothes I am taking. (Not many – I plan to be somewhere warm and dry all winter!!!)
So I am officially homeless and unemployed…YAY! This just means I have no ties or debts to thwart my dream of traveling as the wind blows. My only tie is to the hearts of people I love and will be visiting!!! Right now, the “plan” is vaguely to:
- Fly to visit youngest daughter in South Korea for two weeks in September (my first overseas trip!)
- Spend time with my oldest son and family in western Virginia for a few weeks
- Drop by brother-in-law and family, and possibly some other friends, in the Carolinas
- Enjoy the magical world of Harry Potter at Universal Studios in Florida
- Head to Arkansas to visit a couple of brothers and family as well as an RV conference for worKamping at the end of October
- Travel slowly with lots of stops along the way over to Albuquerque, where my oldest daughter and her wife live
- Short trips to Taos and Santa Fe while staying in Albuquerque
- Thanksgiving with Tara and Morgan
- Start wintering in Quartzite, Arizona – living free on BLM (Bureau of Land Management) lands for a month or so
- Possibly fly back to New York for Christmas week
- Spending some time in the Austin, Texas area with all their great music and arts – and yes, visit Magnolia Store in Waco!
- Head towards Nashville to enjoy some more great music!
If anyone is at or close to any of these areas, send me a message and let me know if I may stop by for a visit on the way – so many folks I would love to see again!!!
As you can see, I tend to travel as I live – with a vague plan and destination, but definitely as “fly by the seat of your pants”! If the traffic is busy to the left, I will turn to the right. If there’s a storm brewing to the south, I will turn toward the north. If there’s no BML land or inexpensive campsite nearby, I will boondock at a truck stop, WalMart, or other such known boondocker site (Yes, I have an app for that!)
Thanks for joining me as I head out. Will keep you posted with pictures and stories as I go along. And hey, if you want to join me – well, grab some kind of vehicle and meet up with me anywhere…just remember, the passenger seat has been REMOVED from my van!! LOL
Scout — out!
What book are you reading now?
From the bookshelf…
“When you put your house in order, you put your affairs and your past in order, too….We should be choosing what to keep, not what we want to get rid of….Keep only those things that speak to your heart. Then take the plunge and discard all the rest.”
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo, 2014
Disclosure: Amazon is my only affiliate link – I get commissions for purchases made through this link. If you click on “Search Amazon” below the following ad, my affiliate link is coded into that click. Thank you!